Why use a thin gasket?
Thinner is better – for sheet gasket materials
We recommend using the thinnest possible gasket in most instances. The reasons for this are;
- Less leakage – smaller cross section of gasket material exposed to the internal pressure
- Resistance to Blow-out due to the smaller cross-sectional area
- Stronger compression strength contributes to higher surface loads able to be safely applied
- Better bolt torque retention as thinner material has lower creep relaxation characteristics
- Cheaper gasket as less material is used
Foam/sponge gasket materials
Thinner materials are not necessarily better for foamed gasket materials, with foam/sponge materials you would look to achieve a compression of 1/3rd of the gaskets original thickness, different densities of foam can be utilised to withstand more/less pressure. There is a whole world of options so get in touch if you’d like to talk about your particular application and what would be best.